Temperatures are beginning to rise and travellers are few and far between; a total of nine visitors to Elegant Emu last week. As the weather warms and my oven (aka my boss) cools I have taken the time to consider all the fun ,wonderful and,interesting people adventuring their way around different bits of Australia. I am so glad to have been a part of your journey.
So, to keep things a little bit fancy and a lot of fun I am sharing the recipe for the French Orange Yoghurt Cake; just one of the memorable must haves from Adavale's best patisserie. This is a simple yet stunning recipe that has traditionally been shared by French grandmothers with their grandchildren and often made by children at school. French school children would be taught this recipe using the yoghurt tub as the measure. I however, will be giving you this recipe in standard cup and spoon measures (I buy yoghurt in 2 litre tubs...use your imagination). No special equipment or complicated techniques and you can easily mix it up with whatever citrus you like. Personally I like orange with ganache topping for that big orangey chocolate jaffa flavour. You could of course simply dust with icing sugar or cocoa, drizzle with glace icing or a dollop of fresh cream. Well, here it is...
French Orange Yoghurt Cake
1 1/2 Cups Greek Yoghurt
2/3 Cup Vegetable/Canola/Olive Oil
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
3 Large Eggs
Zest of One Orange
2 Tbls of Fresh Orange Juice
1 Tsp of Vanilla Extract
2 1/2 Cups Plain Flour
2 1/2 Tsp baking powder
3/4 Tsp Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp Salt
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C
2. Butter and line a 23cm springform or loaf pan with buttered parchment.
3. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl.
4. Combine yoghurt, oil, sugar, eggs, zest, orange juice and, vanilla in a seperate large bowl mix well.
5. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix enough till well blended with no visible lumps.
6. Pour into prepared pan.
7. Bake in the centre of the oven 50-60 min. Until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.
8. Cool in the pan 10 before removing to cool on a wire rack.
Serve with your Elegant Emu memories...ENJOY!